SOLVED

My MS-Excel window goes black partially and intermittently.

Copper Contributor

Dear Microsoft Office Team,

When I open and add data to an Excel sheet, the screen goes black partially (in some parts) and intermittently. It is like black sections flashing on the screen. The problem happens when Excel window is maximized or restored. First, I thought that my laptop screen was broken down. However, the screen works normally and correctly with all other apps, except when opening and using the Excel desktop app. This had happened before, some weeks ago. But last week started again to flash with the black sections on the screen. It is probable that this problem came along with the installation of a Windows 11 update.

I am using: Windows 11, HP laptop, Excel desktop app (Office 2019). 

I tried the following actions to fix this problem but they did not work:

- I installed Windows 11, version 22H2, x64
- I uninstalled and installed again Office 2019
- I ran the diagnostic tests of HP Support Assistant (Hardware and OS)
- I installed subsequent Windows updates.

Can you help me please?

19 Replies
best response confirmed by ElizabethAnneVH (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I already solved this issue. In case someone out there has the same problem, here is the proven solution:

Disable the graphics acceleration:

1. From Excel's main menu select Options.
2. At Excel Options window, choose Advanced on the left pane.
3. At the right pane, under Display options, CHECK the "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" checkbox and click OK.

This solution was provided on September 2022 by: Ravikumar Vadamalai, Independent Advisor, Microsoft Community.

Greetings to the Microsoft Tech Community.

@ElizabethAnneVH 

Tried the proposed solution but "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" does exist at the specified location,

Hello,

You have to click on the "disable graphics acceleration" option. This option does exist, but you have to put a checkmark to it.

Best regards.
Hi - I would click on it if it was there somewhere. Under File>Options>Advanced the following are choices none of which show a graphics acceleration option: "Display"; "Display options for this workbook"; "Display options for this worksheet". My workaround is to close the workbook and reopen it and that solves the keep working issue but doesn't solve the problem.

@mi_green You are almost there. The "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" option is within the "Display" section. I am attaching a screenshot to show it. Follow the red arrow.

Follow the red arrow.Follow the red arrow.

Best regards.

@ElizabethAnneVH Your solution really works. Thanks. 

@Kofiagbalenyo I am very glad this solution worked for you. Thank the original provider, mentioned above. I am charmed to help.

Lovely regards,

Elizabeth Anne

Mexico.

@ElizabethAnneVH  I cannot find this option on excel

dalyagon_0-1683009220594.png

@dalyagon  I cannot tell you why the graphics acceleration option is not available in your system. This option is very old. I am attaching a screenshot of a Toshiba Satellite C655 system with MS Excel 2010. In this old system, the graphics acceleration option was already available. On the other hand, not all computer systems support graphics acceleration. Computers with specific hardware (graphics cards) will not have the ability to change the amount of acceleration. For systems that do have the option to change graphics acceleration, here is a workaround: 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-acceleration-windows-7

Please note that, this change may affect the performance of other apps in your system, specifically those using intense graphics processing.

I hope this helps.

toshiba excel 2010.jpg

@ElizabethAnneVH 
according to the article below, the "disable hardware acceleration" option is no longer available.

We will need a new way to fix this issue since this is no longer a viable option. Please help, this is seriously affecting my day-to-day activities.2023-08-21 09_58_48-RTP-FW TRACKING.xlsb - Excel.png

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-disable-hardware-acceleration-setting/9...

@ryjohn1 Hello, did you try disabling graphics acceleration from Windows Settings? That same article provides the steps to do so:

You can disable hardware acceleration from the Windows Settings app. 

1. Open the Settings app.

2. Click “System” on the sidebar.

3. Press the “Display” option.

4. Click on the “Graphics” option.

5. Click the “Change default graphics settings” link.

6. Turn off the “Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling” option.

7. Close the Settings app.

8. Reboot the computer.

With that, you turned off hardware acceleration in Windows.

Also try sending Feedback through the Windows Feedback Hub and through the Excel (desktop version) feedback utility.

I hope this helps,

Elizabeth Anne

México

@ElizabethAnneVH 

Thanks for getting back to me.

As you can see below, the Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" option isn't an option.
I interpreted the other article as saying that we can no longer deactivate hardware acceleration.

My company will not allow me to make regedits, so that option wont work either.

Any suggestions?

2023-08-21 15_13_10-Settings.png

@ryjohn1 Hello, try the following (no results guaranteed):

1. Go to Windows -- Settings -- System -- Display -- Custom options for apps -- Add an app -- Browse

Look for your EXCEL app in your hard drive, usually it is located in C: / Program Files / Microsoft Office / root / Office16 / EXCEL.EXE

2. When the EXCEL app is accepted by Windows, it will display two buttons: Options / Remove

Click on Options

3. A pop-up window will display with "Graphics preference" options: Choose "Power Saving" option and check the "Don't use optimizations for windowed games" option. Click on "Save".

4. Reestart you Windows system and try working again on your Excel sheet.

This might solve your screen problem. I hope this helps,

Elizabeth Anne

México.

Unfortunately, this did not help either. The suggestion seemed to be a good one, but it did not work. Here is some evidences that i've done it right:

ryjohn1_0-1692709448432.png

After i made this change, i rebooted my laptop.

Any more suggestions? :smile:

@ElizabethAnneVH 

Try closing and reopening the just the spreadsheet. Works for me 100% of the time.

@ryjohn1 I suggest you read the following thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/my-ms-excel-window-goes-black-partially-and/5...

And try asking Ravikumar Vadamalai regarding your problem. On the other hand, if you have no "disable graphics acceleration" option, it is probable that your hardware (graphics card) does not support graphics acceleration, and thus, you cannot disable it.

And, again, I suggest you post your feedback in the Windows Feedback Hub, and in the Feedback utility of Excel: File -- More... -- Feedback -- I have a suggestion. This way you might get some replies from Microsoft staff.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Elizabeth Anne, México,
@ryjohn1, I did quick research on your graphics card (GPU): Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics, and I find that there have been some functionality or compatibility issues between that graphics card and some CPU processors. Apparently, the solution is updating the graphics card driver.

To update the graphics card (GPU) driver: Settings -- System -- Display -- Advanced display -- Display adapter properties -- (a popup window will show up) -- Adapter tab -- Properties (button) -- (another popup window will show up) -- Driver - Update Driver

You can read more about it in:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/11th-Gen-Mobile-Iris-Xe-driver-issue/m-p/1268523/highlight/t...

Alternatively, you can post your issue in the Intel Community:

https://community.intel.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=Intel(R)%20Iris(r)%20xe%20graphics%20...

I hope this helps,

Elízabeth Anne, México.

@ElizabethAnneVH 

This is not a viable long term solution.  Nobody would normally WANT to Disable hardware graphics acceleration.  That's just a band-aid solution.

When will Micro$oft actually FIX the underlying problem that just started causing this problem after a recent Windows Update?

@Daniel-san625 

I do! I have been working my Excel with disabled hardware graphics acceleration for some years and I am pretty fine. However, I do agree that this problem should be solved by Microsoft. I still do not know if this issue is present in specific machines with specific CPUs and graphics cards, like my HP, or if it is a general issue for all types of hardware. This is something you could help to clarify, if you mention what brand, model, is your computer and graphics card.

Greetings.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ElizabethAnneVH (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I already solved this issue. In case someone out there has the same problem, here is the proven solution:

Disable the graphics acceleration:

1. From Excel's main menu select Options.
2. At Excel Options window, choose Advanced on the left pane.
3. At the right pane, under Display options, CHECK the "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" checkbox and click OK.

This solution was provided on September 2022 by: Ravikumar Vadamalai, Independent Advisor, Microsoft Community.

Greetings to the Microsoft Tech Community.

View solution in original post