SOLVED

My excel in office 365 on iPad does not understand a simple formula

Copper Contributor

I recently purchased an Office 365 license and downloaded the latest versions of Excel to my iPad Pro 11”.

Earlier I have used the free Excel daily on my old iPad 4 with no hickups.

Today I cannot get Excel to do the simple task of comparing content in a cell.

There must be an installation trick that I have not performed and look for guidance.

I include a picture displaying 2 simple rows where the first one works fine

but the second one produces a #NAME? error that I cannot understand.

Please advice!

5 Replies

@MickeNy can’t see the photo so here is the content of it:

1 1 ’=IF(A1=1;1;0)
A #NAME? ’=IF(A2=”A”;1;0) Why does this formula produce the error in cell B2

@MickeNy after a long talk with MS tech we concluded that when you enter a new formula that contains a character quote such as ”a” then the error code #NAME? is raised. 

The condition was found in iPad office 365 excel and in online office 365 excel.

An error report has been submitted and hopefully we will have a correction shortly.

@MickeNy 

That's nothing specific for iPad, any version of Excel returns #NAME? error if you use " CHAR(148) instead of " CHAR(34). If check for the explanation that will be unrecognized text

image.png

Exactly the same effect, if, for example, type

=IF(A2=abcde,1,0)

best response confirmed by MickeNy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Sergei Baklan you have pointed me in the right direction of solving this problem.

What looked like a double quote was not one. The solution that works for me is to uncheck the "Smart punctuation", which seems to be the default of a new installation of iOS, found under Setting->General->Keyboards of iOS.

Tested and working!

@MickeNy , have no experience with iPad, that's great to know you found the right solution

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MickeNy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Sergei Baklan you have pointed me in the right direction of solving this problem.

What looked like a double quote was not one. The solution that works for me is to uncheck the "Smart punctuation", which seems to be the default of a new installation of iOS, found under Setting->General->Keyboards of iOS.

Tested and working!

View solution in original post