Multiple Excel utilities not working

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Suddently today I found that Excel isn't working properly.

Several controls aren't working:

• Can't make text bold, italic or underlined.
  • Can't add a new sheet (or tab)
  • Can't save a document, I go to File -> Save as -> click on Save button and it just does nothing.
  • Maybe the most weird thing, when I put background color on a cell the colors don't match the ones I chose. If I want to make the cell green, it makes it blue, if I choose yellow, it's magenta, etc.

I've tried the repair method (quick and online). 

I've tried uninstalling office altogether, rebooting my computer and installing again.

This happens with all documents, brand new ones and existing ones, so it's not a protected file thing.

I really don't know what's happening, I can't find any info online.

5 Replies

Hi, I've been experiencing the same problem since yesterday. :\ 

@idigorasu 

Have you tried logging out/logging back into Office?

I'd first backup then delete the Excel registry key if it persists.

I just verified that this happens because of the latest Office update.

I got it working using a third party software RevoUninstaller (but anything that clears registry data will do). I used the program to uninstall office, then it scans your computer and deletes all files and registry related to Office. I rebooted the computer and install Office again.

Excel worked fine. Then, to be sure, I scaned for Office updates, it installed an Excel update and back to having problems.

So, when you reinstall Office, disable updates untiil they fix this.

@idigorasu 

Hi,

Yes, Yesterday I began noticing some oddities with Excel but today realized there are a lot of utilies not working (Ctrl + U, button +, other), and it does crash a lot.

I've, also, tried to repair (quik & Online) but it does not work.

@Jorge420 turns out it was a problem with the lastest update, people using it in languages other than english had these problems.

Yesterday there was another update that fixed it. It's all ok now.