MS Excel Export CSV to Unique File

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to export from a multi-tabbed Excel workbook to a unique CSV file?

Currently I am using the 'save-as' file process , but this 'converts' the opened file.  I am seeking to export the active tab to CSV but still be active in the XLSX file.

5 Replies
Saving Excel as different file types doesn't change the underlying data in anyway. If you use "save as" to save off a copy as a CSV file, you can then "save as" back to XLSX file and your workbook won't be effected in any way. A little clunky but I don't think excel has an export function built in unless you want to use create one using VBA.

Hello @DKoontz 

The concern is not in relation to a change in the existing underlying data, but rather it changes the file type that affects continuing with new data/effort. 

I'm seeking to find something better than the "clunky" process you've identified.

Have you created anything in VBA for this?

@JonAstolfi 

Saving as CVS then saving back to XLSX isn't too bad, but for VBA you would just need a macro that saved as CSV the saved back to XLSX.

Something like this should work: just change where your workbook and export should go:

ActiveWorkbook. SaveAs FileName:="C:\My Documents\MyCSV", FileFormat:=xlCSV
ActiveWorkbook. SaveAs FileName:="C:\My Documents\MyXLXS", FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook

search for vba code online to copy the sheet tab and save as csv
Just realized that the name of the tab also changes to the name of the exported CSV file.
Another reason for MS to advance this option.