SOLVED

Moving multiple

Copper Contributor

Hi

I want to move highlighted cells to new column without overwriting formulas in blank cells so column L to G with the spaces. Tried copy and paste special but doesn't work.

excel.png

Many thanks

Gary

11 Replies

@Gary05P When you copy and paste special, you should see an option "Skip blanks".

Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 16.01.30.png

Picture taken on a Mac, but it's similar on Windows.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thanks for the quick reply. When I do that this is the result:-excel1.png

I would like to move from L to G to look the same 

@Gary05P You need to copy the whole range from L and paste (special) it to L1, with Skip blanks. 

@Riny_van_Eekelen It then overwrites the formulas that are already there.

@Gary05P But then the "gaps" in column L aren't blank. Perhaps I misunderstood. 

@Riny_van_Eekelen The formulas are in column "G"

@Gary05P Can you upload your file (or part of it)? Remove any confidential information.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thanks for your help with this

best response confirmed by Gary05P (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Gary05P Okay! Column L is not clean. Many of the "blank" cells aren't really blank. Shown in column M.  That's why past special/skip blanks doesn't work. 

Copied the original column L to column O and applied Data / Text-to-column to get rid of the "hidden characters".  Then I could copy O to G (Paste special / Values / Skip blanks).

See if it works for you.

Y@Riny_van_Eekelen  Yes that worked, I can now apply that to my other worksheets. Thank you very much

@Gary05P You're welcome!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gary05P (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Gary05P Okay! Column L is not clean. Many of the "blank" cells aren't really blank. Shown in column M.  That's why past special/skip blanks doesn't work. 

Copied the original column L to column O and applied Data / Text-to-column to get rid of the "hidden characters".  Then I could copy O to G (Paste special / Values / Skip blanks).

See if it works for you.

View solution in original post