Moving from Excel sheet to sheet

Copper Contributor

When I open an Excel file with multiple sheets, I cannot move to any sheet other than the one that is active when I open the file.  What is the problem?  I am using Office 2016 and have been able to move to any sheet of choice as recent as 2/17/2022.  I use OneDrive.  Have not changed anything to my knowledge since 2/17/22 to affect Excel.

9 Replies

@Rose_Kile 

Clicking on another sheet tab doesn't do anything? And neither does pressing Ctrl+PgUp or Ctrl+PgDn?

Correct, no to all your questions. The usual doesn't work.

@Rose_Kile 

Try the following:

Close all workbooks so that Excel is no longer active.

Hold down the left Ctrl key while you start Excel again.

You should see this prompt:

S1182.png

Click Yes.

Now open a workbook with multiple sheets from within Excel.

Can you switch to another worksheet now, or is it still impossible?

I could move to the last sheet of 5 but can't go to any other sheet, not even the 1 sheet that was active when I opened Excell in safe mode. Thanks for trying to help me.

@Rose_Kile 

Does this happen in all workbooks with more than one worksheet? If so, it would appear that there is something wrong with your installation of Office - try repairing it.

@Rose_Kile 

With permission of all involved, I recommend to provide more information.

You'll get a quicker and more accurate answer, and those who want to help don't have to invest time guessing the problem.

Please inform about your Excel version, operating system, storage medium/hard drive, OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc.).

If possible, add photos and describe your issue step by step, with the appropriate description.

Don't forget that…what you see we can't see :).

Questions that arise in your description:

Are both files in OneDrive?

If not, is OneDrive synced to your PC?

Are they excel files that have different formats?

Does it happen with all excel files in OneDrive?

Did you do an update beforehand?

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

I solved my problem by unstalling Microsoft Office, reinstalling, and activating. Now I can move from sheet to sheet. However, I don't understand what happened between 2/17 and 2/27/22 that caused me not to be able to move from sheet to sheet.

@Rose_Kile 

Excel must have become corrupted somehow. Gremlins? Cosmic radiation? We'll never know...

You are right, I will never know because my anti-virus software never reported any issues. In fact, it always reported nothing found.