Money in Excel

Copper Contributor

I can't get the spent column to update after updating the budget column in the monthly budget template inside the money for excel program.

6 Replies
Currently I went into snapshot and unhid the columns V-AY and used the values in column AD in a simple equal sign to move the spent into the budget template. It doesn't update when switching the month obviously but its a rudimentary fix for the current month until someone can help me with a permanent solution.

@jtpolley77 Couple things to try:

1. Print or copy your monthly amounts, then delete the MonthyBudget tab. This won't affect any other part of the workbook. You can then add it back from the Money in Excel add-in pane, OR:
  2. I normally strongly recommend not changing the structure of the template as provided by Microsoft, but this is safe. The formulas for the "Spent" and "Remaining" columns are the same for every row of the monthly budget table. They do lookups based on the Category name in the first column. If you have a row in the table that is working fine, just copy the spent and remaining cells from that row to a row that is not working.
  3. If step 2 doesn't work, or if the formula is already there, check the spelling of the Category name is the first column.

(Microsoft employee)

@jtpolley77

I too am having this issue.
when I assign categories in my transactions, shouldn't they populate as a sum total in the corresponding "spent" column? Anyone understand what I'm missing?
I didn't alter any of the formulas in the "monthlybudget" add-in.

@jennymikesell At the top right of the Monthly Budget tab, did you choose the month? If you're categorizing transactions for November, but the filter is set to October, the Spent column is going to match what you expect.

David_Goodhand_0-1636829826626.png

@jtpolley77  Did you ever get this to update?  Bumping this because I have the same problem.  MS support ZERO help.  Spent 2 hours on support call and they cannot even say who owns this code base.  It's clearly an issue with the Monthly Budget add-in because if you hard code some values into the Spent column the Remaining column does not update either.  Unfortunately, this is the sole reason I splurged for 365 as I already had Office 2019 Pro. 

To anyone that ends up here, I was able to resolve by deleting the entire workbook, re-downloading the (same) template from the MS site, and reopening and adding Monthly Budget add-in.  Note I did NOT have to re-sign in with Plaid and it automagically downloaded all my previous transactions.  Hope this helps, as I wasted hours trying to get this to work.