SOLVED

Misisng combine comand in new query from folder

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a 3 excel file in a folder. I want to import them in a data model through New Query from folder. When I select the folder and open the link, I get the 3 files with "binay" in content column but there is no the combine button within the option. I have load, modify and cancel.

Can anybody help? Is it related to the quality of data in the files?

Thanks

6 Replies

Hi Michele,

there are two arrows pointing down to the right of the 'Combine' column header. If you click them, it will give you an option to select either tables or sheets of the source files to combine.

Yury

Hi Yury,

thanks for the reply. I tried to click on the 2 arrows button but I get an error. And with the right click I don't find the option to combine...sorry pictures are in italian.

I select the 3 files I want to insert with query, I select modify to enter the query editor, then those are the options with right click on "2 arrow" button, and if I just click on it i get that error message.

Combine.PNG

Combine1.PNG

Combine2.PNGCombine3.PNG

best response confirmed by Michele Marco Schiavon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Michele,

you need to create a custom column and put =Excel.Workbook([Content]) in it. Then expand tables at the top-right of the custom column header. It will give you a list sheets or tables available in the file. You can filter out the required ones, then expand tables in a new column once again. 

You can refer to https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2014/11/21/combining-data-from-multiple-excel-workbooks-with-power-q... for more details.

Newer versions of Power Query handle the task of combining excel files automatically by adding some custom functions.

Hope this helps

Yury

Hi Yuri,

thanks again for the answer. Link was very useful and a great blog discover.

I managed to load the files!! :)

Ciao

@Yury Tokarev   Good Afternoon,

I tried to click on your link regarding the Power Query Error you mentioned but the link is broken.

Any assistance would be a huge help because I am running in tot he same issue.

@jdrennen 

Please check Combine files (binaries) in Power BI Desktop  That's for Power BI Desktop, but i Excel connector works the same way.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michele Marco Schiavon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Michele,

you need to create a custom column and put =Excel.Workbook([Content]) in it. Then expand tables at the top-right of the custom column header. It will give you a list sheets or tables available in the file. You can filter out the required ones, then expand tables in a new column once again. 

You can refer to https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2014/11/21/combining-data-from-multiple-excel-workbooks-with-power-q... for more details.

Newer versions of Power Query handle the task of combining excel files automatically by adding some custom functions.

Hope this helps

Yury

View solution in original post