minus key

Copper Contributor

When attempting to enter a negative number in a cell using the minus key of the numeric key block area of the keyboard, I must first hit any other key in the numeric block of the keyboard.  This just started happening and I don't know how to fix it.  The problem is limited to all Excel files (workbooks, and spreadsheets) on one computer. 

The same keyboard functions perfectly when attached to another computer. 

The minus key above the alpha keys on the same keyboard works perfectly.

I can get the minus key of the numeric key area to work only when I press another key of the numeric key area first.

This one is driving me crazy cause it seems to be a problem with Excel on one computer and not the keyboard...  Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

7 Replies

@LLattuca 

Is it the same in safe mode ?

Win+R

excel /safe

@Sergei Baklan 

Thank you so much for your response!!!

Yes it happens in safe mode also but I have a new detail....

When I press the minus key in the numeric keypad area....Excel displays a comment on the bottom right of the screen next to the word READY....the comment is " Extend Section "  and when I make a cursor movement on the keyboard adjacent cells are "highlighted" along with the current cell...it's kina making a cell selection of some type with adjacent cells in the direction I move the cursor

I also noticed the Minus Key of the numeric keypad area will function properly when I turn off the NUMLOCK key....but then the numeric keypad keys function as cursor directors...
Thank you so much for your response!!!

Yes it happens in safe mode also but I have a new detail....

When I press the minus key in the numeric keypad area....Excel displays a comment on the bottom right of the screen next to the word READY....the comment is " Extend Section " and when I make a cursor movement on the keyboard adjacent cells are "highlighted" along with the current cell...it's kina making a cell selection of some type with adjacent cells in the direction I move the cursor
I also noticed the Minus Key of the numeric keypad area will function properly when I turn off the NUMLOCK key....but then the numeric keypad keys function as cursor directors...

@LLattuca 

Extend Selection is normal behavior for minus key if NumPad is off. After the minus you may select range by arrow keys starting from active cell.

If with NumPad ON it doesn't work in safe mode as well - have no idea. I'd try to repair Office.

@LLattuca Check the On Screen keyboard to make sure the num lock is on. Do this by searching On Screen Keyboard and choose the search result and click the numlock button with your mouse. 

Thank you so very much! I was having the same issue and your solution worked!!!!!