SOLVED

Microsoft forms questions cutoff in Excel

Copper Contributor

Hello - I have a MS Form and I'm looking at the results in Excel. The questions don't show completely. They show part of them and then "..."  

Is there a character limit? How can I show the entire question on the Excel to make it easier for recipients to know what the responses correlate to

THanks

5 Replies
I believe the issue is with Forms and question character length. A form question may contain up to 4,000 characters but once the character limit is >=200, the question sent to Excel will show the three-dots. I tested a question at 199 characters and it was not abbreviated when deposited in the Excel sheet.

Thanks @Patrick2788 - that would explain it. The questions are longer than 200 characters.

Is there a way around this?

Can I paste the complete question in the Excel file without affecting the responses from the form? 

@Patrick2788 - I tested a form and tried to put the entire question in the Excel file, but once I clicked out of the cell it automatically reverted to what it was with the three dots.
I'd love to know if there is an override I can do here... it makes it difficult to send results to people who need them.
Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thank you!
I don't believe there's a workaround. If the form is 'active' then it 2-way syncs with the Excel workbook. The way to stop the sheet from updating after you've changed the column would be to to close the form (Stop accepting responses in Form settings).
best response confirmed by LDdeb (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Thanks @Patrick2788 - I played around a bit yesterday and was able to find something that works. I added a row below the question that forms creates and inserted the entire question. I'm still able to submit survey entries and although it's not pretty, it does show the whole question.
Thanks for your help with this. I really appreciate it!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LDdeb (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Thanks @Patrick2788 - I played around a bit yesterday and was able to find something that works. I added a row below the question that forms creates and inserted the entire question. I'm still able to submit survey entries and although it's not pretty, it does show the whole question.
Thanks for your help with this. I really appreciate it!

View solution in original post