Microsoft excel file deletion

Copper Contributor

I have a mac computer, but I believe a Microsoft excel file got deleted from my desktop due to lack of storage space. I can still see the title in recent but when I try to open it there the following message pops up: 

This workbook is either deleted or not currently accessible.

I tried to use Disk Drill to recover it, but when I try to open it that way, I get the following message: 

Excel cannot open the file '~$carra research project case series.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.

I have been unable to find a solution and I am trying to determine if there is any way to get my data back. I thought this was saved to icloud but have not been able to find it there.

2 Replies
I'm a Mac user as well. But I don't recognize "Disk Drill"...have you looked in the trash bin? If it was accidentally deleted, you might be able to simply restore from there.

Based on the error messages you're seeing, it seems likely that the Excel file you're trying to recover has been corrupted or damaged in some way. This can happen when files are deleted or lost due to lack of storage space or other issues, and attempts to recover them can sometimes cause further damage or corruption.

One potential solution is to try using a different hard drive recovery software, as some programs may be more effective than others at recovering corrupted or damaged files. You may also want to try using a different version of Excel to open the file, as different versions may be able to read files that others cannot.

Another possibility is that the file was not saved correctly or was saved in a different format than what Excel expects. You can try changing the file extension or opening it in a different program to see if this helps.

If these solutions do not work, it may be necessary to consult with a professional data recovery service to see if they can retrieve the file. However, this can be a costly and time-consuming process, so it's important to consider the value of the data you're trying to recover before deciding whether to pursue this option.

In the future, it's important to regularly back up important files to prevent data loss. This can be done using cloud storage services like iCloud, or by creating local backups on an external hard drive or other storage device.