Microsoft 365 When it states Updates are automatic why do I need to check for updates?

Copper Contributor
5 Replies

@16Teams 

This information / link may help you further :)

Manage additional Windows Update settings

Configure Automatic Updates

Enables the IT admin to manage automatic update behavior to scan, download, and install updates.

Configuring Automatic Updates by using Group Policy

Under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows update\Configure Automatic Updates, you must select one of the four options:

2 - Notify for download and auto install - When Windows finds updates that apply to this device, users will be notified that updates are ready to be downloaded. After going to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, users can download and install any available updates.

3 - Auto download and notify for Install - Windows finds updates that apply to the device and downloads them in the background (the user is not notified or interrupted during this process). When the downloads are complete, users will be notified that they are ready to install. After going to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, users can install them.

4 - Auto download and schedule the install - Specify the schedule using the options in the Group Policy Setting. For more information about this setting, see Schedule update installation.

5 - Allow local admin to choose setting - With this option, local administrators will be allowed to use the settings app to select a configuration option of their choice. Local administrators will not be allowed to disable the configuration for Automatic Updates.

If this setting is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, users must go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update.

If this setting is set to Not Configured, an administrator can still configure Automatic Updates through the settings app, under Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options.

Even if I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, I hope that I have helped you a bit.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Where does it say that "you need to check for updates"?
I have issues with the clipboard freezing the screen / full up?? so I got through to Tech **bleep**. They informed that I should check for updates every so offten. This is why I posted my query.
I think the above might apply to Windows 10. It states that this file could not be found. Anyway even though Microsoft 365 is up to date I still have issues with the Clipboard message still appearing, I told by Microsoft 365 to manually check for updates now and again hence the message in the first place. Thanks for your intrest anyway.
Automatic updates are distributed according to a roll-out plan. Not everyone gets the update on the same day. It spans for week or months.
So you might get an update for 01.06. on 20.06.
If you are in need for an immediate update then you can check manually and get it on the spot.