SOLVED

Message displays when selecting a cell

Copper Contributor

I downloaded the template for Personal Monthly Budget.  They have a feature in there that I would like to be able to replicate in some of my own files.  When I select cell A2 a message is displayed to the right and below that cell.  When I deselect the cell it disappears. How is that done? It is not a note or comment.

denise_955_0-1623349639566.png

4 Replies
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@denise_955 

These are actually Data Validations. If you go to Data tab > Data Tools > Data Validation, it'll bring up a menu where you can input your own messages, clear them out of the cells, and option to display the message whenever the cell is selected. 

DKoontz_0-1623350606283.png

@denise_955 

Try it! and Click it!

In Excel for Microsoft 365, you can use Comments to have conversations with others, or use Notes to make annotations.

Add a comment to start a conversation

1. Right-click a cell and select New Comment.

2. Enter your comment and select Post.

Others can now reply to continue the discussion.

-----------------------------------------------

Additional Information, please click on it.

Insert comments and notes in Excel

Example in the attached file.

Hope I could help you at least a little.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

These aren't comments or notes, just data validation!

@DKoontz 

Thank you so much.  You are right, this is a very clever use of the data validation.  I can think of many great uses for this.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@denise_955 

These are actually Data Validations. If you go to Data tab > Data Tools > Data Validation, it'll bring up a menu where you can input your own messages, clear them out of the cells, and option to display the message whenever the cell is selected. 

DKoontz_0-1623350606283.png

View solution in original post