Merging Datasets

Copper Contributor

Dear Experts

Please can you assist. I have column A and B in workbook 1 and column C in workbook 2. Column A and C contains some material numbers that match. I have to compare these two columns and pull the data from column B to align with the material number in column C where these are the same as the material number in column A.  

Example:

Workbook 1
Material NumberType
123a1
A75af
582_CMsg

Workbook 2
Material NumberType
K227 
H-1000P 

Thank you Kindly Jans

3 Replies

You may consider the formula "vlookup" to do the things. 

Since it is referring to another workbook, I suggest to copy and paste with values after getting the necessary data. 

Hi

Thank you for your response. Its much appreciated. A second question that I have is regarding comparison of data in two columns. I need to find numbers in column B that match the numbers in column A. Where column B does not have a matching number in column A, column B cells must shift down and leave blanks cells up to the next matching number in A?

@Man Fai Chan wrote:

You may consider the formula "vlookup" to do the things. 

Since it is referring to another workbook, I suggest to copy and paste with values after getting the necessary data. 

Sorry... I don't understand your question. Would you please attach a sample file with explanation to demonstrate the input you have and the output you want?