Merging data in spreadsheets

Copper Contributor

I have two spreadsheets. Spreadsheet one has Customer Numbers and Spreadsheet two has Customer Numbers and the state the customer is in. 

Within spreadsheet one, I need to figure out how to create a column that says, if the customer numbers match, insert the corresponding state from spreadsheet two. 

Is this If then or something else?

5 Replies

@derrickgirard 

=VLOOKUP(A2,'Customer numbers and state'!$A$2:$B$25,2,FALSE)

=INDEX('Customer numbers and state'!$B$2:$B$25,MATCH('Customer numbers'!A2,'Customer numbers and state'!$A$2:$A$25,0))

Maybe with these formula as shown in the attached file. If you work with Office365 or 2021 you can apply XLOOKUP as well.

@derrickgirard 

It's more of  a lookup function. Here is a link to a website that shows the "how-to" of VLOOKUP, which, based on your description, is probably what you need.

https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-vlookup-function

@OliverScheurich 

Thanks for the help...i am tying to do this so it pulls in ranges...is it possible to send you the spreadsheet so you can see? I can't see how to attach something to this reply.

@derrickgirard 

=VLOOKUP($A2,'Customer numbers and state'!$A$2:$D$25,COLUMN(B1),FALSE)

Maybe you want to pull ranges with above formula.

When i select "reply" -> "open full text editor" i then can select "drap and drop or browse a file" as shown in the attached file. Does this work for you as well?

The option to drag and drop or browse does not show up for me.