MAXIFS Doesn't work on mac Laptop

Copper Contributor

Hi, I purchased Microsoft 365 with an intent to use the MAXIFS function. The problem is the function only returns a "#NAME" error on my mac laptop app. Peculiarly, the same spreadsheet with the same function works perfectly on OneDrive Xcel when opened in my Chrome Browser instead of the desktop app. The desktop app is up to date (I installed it yesterday). Any ideas on how to get the MAXIFS function to work on my mac laptop?

Thanks!

Jason

6 Replies

@travelaf 

MAXIFS function

The function is suitable for Excel for Microsoft 365, Excel for Microsoft 365 for Mac, Excel for the web, Excel 2021, Excel 2021 for Mac, Excel 2019, Excel 2019 for Mac.

How to correct a #NAME? error

The top reason why the #NAME? error appears in the formula is because there is a typo in the formula name.

If you have an older version of Excel on the laptop, try the following formula:

=MAX(IF((A1:A5=C1);B1:B5))

Cell F1 contains the name for which the maximum is to be searched. Since the formula is an array formula, complete the entry with ⌘ - Enter.

Hope I was able to help you with this information.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Thanks, however, I have the most current version of excel on Microsoft 365 (installed two days ago, and checked for updates - no new updates available) on my laptop. Why doesn’t MAXIFS work on my laptop?

@travelaf What exactly do you see when you click on Excel, About Microsoft Excel when in the Excel app on your Mac? Asking to be absolutely sure that we are on the same platform.

Mine shows this:

Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 14.29.27.png

Can you also upload a screenshot with the formula visible in the formula bar when you click the cell that returns the Name error?

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thanks for your help! I noticed my version is 16.58 and yours is 16.59... I just "checked for updates" within Xcel this morning but the message said all apps are up to date. Could this be the problem, and if so, how can I force an update to 16.59?

@travelaf The formula looks OK and so does your Excel version. Don't know why it doesn't work for you.

OK, thanks, I updated my mac OS software and now Xcel works fine. Thanks for your help.