Matching 2 different data sets with client data

Copper Contributor

Hi There!

I have a problem I'm struggling to figure out, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have 2 excel files with client data, I'm looking for an easy way to merge them into 1 by the client name. Saying that both data sets have different clients and a different amount of clients, I'm expecting only about 40% to match between the files. 

Here's an example:
Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 9.52.44 AM.png

What's the best way to approach this?

Thanks!

3 Replies

Hi @MrMilo 

In principal VLOOKUP could do the job but won't be very efficient if you have a lot of columns. Alternatively Power Query can do that assuming you run Excel > 2013 on Windows (???)

Hi L z. thanks for the suggestion! I can confirm I'm running Excel >2013 on Windows. How should I approach this with Power Query?

Hi @MrMilo 

Not mandatory but easier, format the data in your 2 files as Tables. For below steps it's assumed your tables are named (How To rename a Table) respectively Table1 and Table2

From a new workbook (assuming this is what you want):
- Go to Data (tab) > Get Data > From File > From Excel Workbook > Select 1st file
- In the Navigator > Select Table1 > At the bottom click on the arrow down next to "Load" > Load To... > Only Create Connection > OK
- Go to Data (tab) > Get Data > From File > From Excel Workbook > Select 2nd file
- In the Navigator > Select Table2 > At the bottom click on the arrow down next to "Load" > Load To... > Only Create Connection > OK

On the right side of your screen you see the Queries & Connections pane with 2 queries:

- Right-click on Table1 > Merge

- Follow the steps - Starting at #3 - in section Perform a Merge operation