Managing a protected Excel file in sharepoint

Copper Contributor

I have created a sharepoint list that adds rows to an excel table. Other tabs process that data to useful information. I want users to be able to add rows to the table when they add list items but I don't want them to be able to otherwise edit the excel document. I still want myself and a few others to be able to edit the excel document as needed. Can I still edit the workbook if I protect it without a password?

1 Reply

@dweir0692 

Lock or unlock specific areas of a protected worksheet

Unlock ranges on a protected worksheet for users to edit

To give specific users permission to edit ranges in a protected worksheet, your computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP or later, and your computer must be in a domain. Instead of using permissions that require a domain, you can also specify a password for a range.

1. Select the worksheet that you want to protect.

2. On the Review tab, in the Changes group, click Allow Users to Edit Ranges.

This command is available only when the worksheet is not protected.

3. Do one of the following:

• To add a new editable range, click New.

• To modify an existing editable range, select it in the Ranges unlocked by a password when sheet is protected box, and then click Modify.

• To delete an editable range, select it in the Ranges unlocked by a password when sheet is protected box, and then click Delete.

4. In the Title box, type the name for the range that you want to unlock.

5. In the Refers to cells box, type an equal sign (=), and then type the reference of the range that you want to unlock.

You can also click the Collapse Dialog button, select the range in the worksheet, and then click the Collapse Dialog button again to return to the dialog box.

6. For password access, in the Range password box, type a password that allows access to the range.

Specifying a password is optional when you plan to use access permissions. Using a password allows you to see user credentials of any authorized person who edits the range.

7. For access permissions, click Permissions, and then click Add.

8. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) box, type the names of the users who you want to be able to edit the ranges.

To see how user names should be entered, click examples. To verify that the names are correct, click Check Names.

9. Click OK.

10. To specify the type of permission for the user who you selected, in the Permissions box, select or clear the Allow or Deny check boxes, and then click Apply.

11. Click OK two times.

If prompted for a password, type the password that you specified.

12. In the Allow Users to Edit Ranges dialog box, click Protect Sheet.

13. In the Allow all users of this worksheet to list, select the elements that you want users to be able to change.

More information about the worksheet elements you will find in the upper link.

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but maybe it will help you.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)