Manage staff training/upskilling in a variety of roles/courses using excel

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

As the title mentions, im trying to create a sheet that helps manage the training/upskilling of staff who belong to different teams and thus have a different set of courses or training requirements.

Ideally, an employee has a single role (lets say developer), and that role has between 5-10 courses to complete (which are ordered by Must have, Should have, Could have) as well as the status of these courses (complete, in-progress, not started).

I know I can just place these in a flat table and duplicate the data, but I would like it to be as dynamic as possible. Where if I updated the course (lets say I add a 'must have' module to the 'developer' role), then I can see that change reflected onto the main sheet next to the employee's name along with it being 'not started' (Along with all the other employees with the same job title).

Is somthing of this complexity possible within excel?

I also had the idea of using pivot tables, but I thought tracking the progress of the training might prove to be difficult.

Thanks.

5 Replies

@MattRipia This is possible with Excel, but not with formulas. You would need to write VBA that can be run when a new course is added.

@MattRipia 

Could help only needs to be translated into English and set according to your needs.

https://store.office.com/worldwide.aspx?cmapid=1&returnURL=https:%2F%2Ftemplates.office.com%2Fde-de%...

Third-party information disclaimer:

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of me. I makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

I would be happy to find out if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE 

Thanks - I did find an english version of this before I posted. It is missing alot of functionality for having an employee in a certain role, and then that role having a pre-defined set of courses they need to complete.

Thanks for your help though.

@Ingeborg Hawighorst 

I will look into VBA as a solution, I havent used this before so i'm unsure if it would work. I'd assume that I have a list of people with their roles, a list of courses that belong to a role, and then the script that ties those together and produces a dynamic combination. When I change a person, role, or course it would then update the main page for me. Is that assumption correct?

@MattRipia Your requirement is very specific, so it will be hard to find a template that does exactly what your company process is.

If you have no experience coding in VBA, this will be a big challenge. You may want to start with some smaller tasks to learn how to use VBA. The good news is that there is plenty of free learning out there, if you are willing to search and put in the time to learn.