Making combo graph in Excel or PowerPoint for Mac

Copper Contributor

Hello. I have researched how to do this but I don't get the same command.  I simply need to change the selection of which column of my data gets shown in the line, and which ones stay as columns in a combo graph. I really need this for PPT but the problem happens in Excel too: at the point right after I select "Chart type / Combo / Clustered Column - Line" there is SUPPOSED to be (according to all the videos and articles) a box that says "Choose the chart type and axis for your data series."  This does not appear. 

This image below is what I actually see - after I select Combo chart then I do not see "how choose the chart type and axis for my data series"

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 12.45.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.52.43 PM.png This is sample data that would underly the chart. I want the totals to be the line and the individual sales by week to be the columns. 

Here is the help article showing me what I should see: You see that box at the bottom of the screen "Choose the chart type and axis for your data series."? I can't  find those commands. I don't get that option. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 1.24.28 PM.png

I have spent 4 hours online research and 2.5 hours with Office 365 help and still can't solve this.

1 Reply

@NancyMCM The "Change Chart Type" window exists in the PC version only. In Excel for Mac, the easiest way is to create a regular column chart first. Note with the data structure like in your picture, you'd have to switch row/column to get the weeks on the horizontal axis with four columns, the fourth on being the Total.

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 07.02.08.png

Now, click on any of the Total columns (this will select all of them) and press change chart type, and choose the icon for a line chart. That's it.

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 07.08.29.png

Example:

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 07.10.32.png