SOLVED

Lost Number Formatting

Copper Contributor

I have a large database of technical information that I have accumulated since 2005.  It consists of texts, simple equations, dates, IF statements, VLOOKUPs, etc.  I placed the file in Dropbox for an intern to update with new columns and entries.  Student is now gone.  I think I know what the issue is, but I don't know how to revert back the entire worksheet.  Texts remain texts, simple equations, IF statements, VLOOKUPs appear as texts and dates appear as numbers.  When I try to change the formatting back to the original, nothing changes.  I've attempted numerous times.  Would the intern have changed the entire "worksheet" formatting so as I cannot change them individually??  Help!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@GigiB1971 

Your description is subject to interpretation.

First, what is the name of the file?  In particular, does it end with ".txt" or ".csv", or does it end with ".xlsx" or ".xlsm"?

Second, if it is an XLSX or XLSM file, try pressing ctrl+backquote.

Finally, if you think you "know what the issue is", please share your insights with us.

The backquote( ` ) might be on the key just below the Esc key, usually in the upperleft of the keyboard.

Thank you! It worked.
1. It is *.xlsx
2. ctrl+backquote worked
3. The issue I believed was all the cells in the entire worksheet was "formatted" to text; NOT converted to text. A solution.... I did not have till now. Would this be correct understanding of what the issue could've been?

Thanks for the tip! Now I can move forward.

@GigiB1971  wrote:  ``Would this be correct understanding of what the issue could've been?``

No.  It is not a formatting issue; at least, not in the normal sense (cell formatting).

Instead, the ctrl-backquote feature displays all formulas in all cells.

While you are in that mode, the formulas are not calculated.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@GigiB1971 

Your description is subject to interpretation.

First, what is the name of the file?  In particular, does it end with ".txt" or ".csv", or does it end with ".xlsx" or ".xlsm"?

Second, if it is an XLSX or XLSM file, try pressing ctrl+backquote.

Finally, if you think you "know what the issue is", please share your insights with us.

The backquote( ` ) might be on the key just below the Esc key, usually in the upperleft of the keyboard.

View solution in original post