Lost data?

Copper Contributor

I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016.

I have a CSV file (I thought I saved my file as an .xlsx but I'm guessing I was mistaken).

In this CSV file I had multiple tabs, 9 to be exact.  They were all renamed.

I was working on this file for 9 hours last Saturday (8/15) with numerous regular saves.  (All the time thinking it was a xlsx file.)

The finished product was only 219KB in size.

When I opened it today (8/21) only one tab (the first tab was present with data - and the data that was present wasn't even formatted correctly).

My file was on a One-Drive.

Long story short.  How can I recover a previous save?  One of the last things I did before my final save was to take all the columns of data that were in the first tab (309 columns) and separate them into 8 other smaller tabs.  I'm guessing that if I can recover the file from before I started separating the 309 columns out I'd be good to go but I can't find a way to recover that (previous) version.

3 Replies

@Soaty 

If you worked with file on OneDrive and especially  AutoSave option was switched on, you may expand this window clicking on arrow key at the right of file name in title bar

image.png

click on version history and restore any one you wish. Alternatively you may open OneDrive online and check version history from 3 dots menu at the right of the file name.

@Sergei Baklan ,

I've tried the Version history option and it (only) goes back 9 or 10 iterations.  All are the same and return the same damaged file.  I think my data is gone forever.  Thanks for trying to help.

@Soaty 

Sorry to hear that. In general OneDrive keeps up to 500 versions if only that limit wasn't changed by tenant admin. That's for business account, not sure about personal one.