Lookup name in one sheet return a set value in a different sheet

Copper Contributor
So total novice here. I’ve tried Vlookup and figuring it out but can’t do it. I have sheet 1 that has a dump of names in alpha order. On sheet 2 I have a list of 5 names that report to the same manager. I want to search Sheet 1 for each name in Sheet 2. If there is a match, I want the result in Sheet 2 beside each name to say “completed” (found) or “not completed” (not found)
2 Replies

@1776memb Please have a look at the attached workbook which contains a very basic example. It's not as straight-forward as you might have thought. VLOOKUP returns a value from a range when it finds a match or an #NA error is it doesn't. Now you want to "translate" these to "Completed" and "Not completed" respectively. So, you'll need to include IFERROR and IF.

The workbook also includes an example using MATCH, rather than VLOOKUP. And, depending on your Excel version, you may want to look if it supports XLOOKUP, a more powerful and flexible lookup function.

• @Riny_van_Eekelen  You are brilliant as you are honourable! This is all I need.  And I already have a macro to email out sheets so this makes my life 200% more manageable.