Looking for help developing data spreadsheet for Premier League

Copper Contributor
I am wanting to develop a Premier League table movement spreadsheet for using as an office pool where it can do the following:
1. Reference (controlled) table has the listing of the 20 Premier League clubs in order that reflects the 18/19 PL.
2. I am also wanting to input separate PL table predictions based on what people think the 18/19 PL will finish.
3. Based between predictions and the actual table, i want the spreadsheet to calculate points for the following
A. If prediction place ends up EQUALS final PL table - zero (0) points
B. If prediction place ends up HIGHER than final PL table (prediction is 9th and actual is 5th place) - position points difference between actual and prediction (eg. +4)
C. If actual place ends up LOWER than prediction (prediction is 5th place and actual is 3rd place) - position points difference between actual and prediction (eg. -2 points)
D. This is counted toward all 20 clubs.
4. The goal of the office pool is end up with the lowest points possible. I am wanting the spreadsheet to calculate the points of the entire prediction places for each entry.

Can this be done using Excel?
4 Replies

Yes this is definitely possible.  A friend of mine used to run a weekly NFL Pool for bragging rights and he came up with this spreadsheet.  It's nothing fancy but it seemed to get the job done.  It's pretty basic.... it  looks at the match ups for each week and if the team in Row 5 matches the team for the individual it will give them points (Column T) .  It sounds like what you want to do is the opposite.  If you look at this spreadsheet you can get your bearings and simply adjust it.

Please see attached for reference....

@Mike Schlodder Hi Mike, did you ever get this to work?  If so, I'd be interested to know how! Thanks!

Hi,
There are various sites that offer such templates for free and some for a lot of money ... here is a page where you can download a template for free ... maybe it fits what you're looking for.

https://spreadsheetpage.com/soccer/

I would be happy to find out if I could help.

Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@Mike Schlodder Any luck with this?  I'm looking for the same thing for this coming season and I'm drawing a blank...  thank you :)