Locking the aspect ratio of a chart

Brass Contributor

Format Chart Area has a checkbox "Lock aspect ratio."  Yet when I drag a chart handle, the aspect ratio changes.  So, in what sense is the aspect ratio locked?  I don't care if the chart gets moved or resized as long as the aspect ratio remains fixed.  Is there a way to do this without protecting the worksheet.  

3 Replies

Hello @perkin_warbeck,

The Lock aspect ratio button works such that the ratio between height and width remains constant but the height and width can increase or decrease. For example, the following chart sizes have the same aspect ratio:

Height = 1", Width = 2"

Height = 2", Width = 4"

Height = 6", Width = 12"

Is this what you are looking for?

@PReagan Thanks.  I understand aspect ratio. Perhaps I should have phrased the question differently.  I need a square grid.  Let's say that I remove the gridlines.  Then the "grid" is the entire chart area.  I make it 5" x 5" and check "Lock aspect ratio."  But if I drag one of the handles on the side, the aspect ratio changes and the grid becomes non-square.  If I drag a corner handle, the size changes but the aspect ratio is held fixed.  I have a feeling this is only possible by locking the chart on a protected sheet.

@perkin_warbeck I think that "locking ratio of chart" simply means that dragging one of its four corners will change the chart's size but not its aspect ratio.  Unfortunately this constraint does not accompany the drag process for any of the four sides of the chart.