SOLVED

Locking tabs in a workbook.

Copper Contributor

I have a spreadsheet that I use to track our load pays for payroll.  I have tabs that signify each payroll period and a tab that has all of the loads, their pay and W/C Code.  I have to change rates for some of the loads.  If I change it in the load list page it changes all previous pay period totals that had those loads hauled.  This throws off my payroll for year end. 

Is there a way to lock previous pay period tabs, so those amounts won't change?  I don't really want to start adding more of the same loads, just putting 2021 after them.  For instance, OC - Dila Dairy vs. OC - Dila Dairy 2021.  This just adds too many loads I have to sort through when entering time cards.

Hope this makes sense and that there is a simple solution.  Thank you for any all info.

Randy  

2 Replies
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution
The simple answer is you have a couple options:
a) after the year end you copy all the a and paste it into a new sheet as 'Values Only'
b) you have a look up table for ongoing OC values so you track them over the years (not much different than renaming each)
c) a sort of hybrid where on each sheet you have an OC value cell(s) that reference the other sheet (basically just mirrors that value through the year as you track it on the other sheet) but at the end of the year/period you 'LOCK' them in by copying that cell(s) on this sheet and then paste 'Values Only' over top that cell to wipe out the formula and fix the value(s) on this sheet but the other sheets are not affected.

@mtarler - Never thought of copying and pasting into another sheet.  I guess that would be easiest.  I'll start that and if there is a "lock" tab way to do it later, I can always change.

Thanks.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution
The simple answer is you have a couple options:
a) after the year end you copy all the a and paste it into a new sheet as 'Values Only'
b) you have a look up table for ongoing OC values so you track them over the years (not much different than renaming each)
c) a sort of hybrid where on each sheet you have an OC value cell(s) that reference the other sheet (basically just mirrors that value through the year as you track it on the other sheet) but at the end of the year/period you 'LOCK' them in by copying that cell(s) on this sheet and then paste 'Values Only' over top that cell to wipe out the formula and fix the value(s) on this sheet but the other sheets are not affected.

View solution in original post