SOLVED

Locking/stopping drill down in Pivot Table to Share

Brass Contributor
I want to share a specific sheet sourced in a workbook I’m working in. I created a pivot to share in the sheet I want to share and locked the pivot by going into PivotTable Options and unchecked Enable Show Details in the data tab.

I used Slicers to allow the Pivot to manipulated by the end user.

I also plan to lock all cells below the Slicers and adding a password to those cells to prevent drill down into sensitive data the pivot has.

Is this the best option? I’d be creating a copy of the specific sheet and moving into a separate workbook from where the work was done originally.
2 Replies
best response confirmed by Jpalaci1 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Jpalaci1 

Protection in Excel is more protection from negligence to reduce risk of data corruption. That's not saves your data from someone who intentionally would like to access them.

You may do simple test - create Excel workbook applying kind of protection. Upload this workbook in Google Sheets in open in it. In 90% of cases protection is ignored. If you don't like Google Sheets save this workbook back as Excel one. Open in Excel, protection is gone.

Thank you. I will put this into a read-only Power BI only accessed by certain persons.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jpalaci1 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Jpalaci1 

Protection in Excel is more protection from negligence to reduce risk of data corruption. That's not saves your data from someone who intentionally would like to access them.

You may do simple test - create Excel workbook applying kind of protection. Upload this workbook in Google Sheets in open in it. In 90% of cases protection is ignored. If you don't like Google Sheets save this workbook back as Excel one. Open in Excel, protection is gone.

View solution in original post