Loading .NET Framework - Soooooo?

Copper Contributor

When I launch an Excel workbook in Microsoft 365 I get a Launching .NET Framework message at the bottom. What does that do for me? Can I connect to a server using html/TCP on my LAN? If so, how? I've tried using Visual Studio 2019 to build a network Excel AddIn but VS security would never let it execute the Web Socket.

6 Replies
It is likely that the workbook in question contains queries from the Data, Get and Transform section, also known as PowerQuery. PowerQuery uses the .NET framework, hence it loads when you open a workbook which contains (or has contained) any PQ connections.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

I have the same problem. In any .xlsx file, just open PowerQuery editor, save and close it. From that moment, every time you open that xlsx file, "loading .Net Framework" label will appear, no matter what you do...

@RafaelCorreia There is something else in this issue. One my Excel files behaves differently on different computers: on some the Loading .NET Framework message appears, on others it doesn't.

The workbook has only one empty worksheet (no VBA, Power Query, Connections, names, etc).

You can get rid of loading .net framework in Excel 2019 by doing File, Info, Check for Issues/Inspect Document and ticking Custom XML Data (you can tick everything else as well, but it will take a long time). It will tell you that Custom XML Data was found, so press Remove. Then close and save.

Next time you open up, no .net framework, and it's much faster.

@Martin Noyes 

@DavidEFlavell Thank you for the information. It's working!!!

Oh thanx! It really helped get rid of such an annoying issue.