Live import of RS232-USB data into Excel?

Copper Contributor

Hello! I currently have an old PC, running an old version of Windows. I have a new machine on Windows 10, with new Excel. I need to import data from an RS232 (serial) communicating device, that I have hooked to a RS2332-USB converter. I had an old Basic program that took the data from the COM port, and imported into an excel spreadsheet, which does not work in Windows 10. How do I get the data from the RS-232 to USB converter into excel, so that I can format it properly, even have it properly formatted for entry to the sheet?

To community members: I am willing to pay for a simple program that does what I need and runs on Windows 10 and Excel. 

5 Replies
I think you best search on-line using the brand and type of the connector on how you're supposed to get data from the peripheral you connected this way, hopefully there is some documentation?

@Jan Karel Pieterse Thanks, he peripheral is rather old, and I am using the prototcol they offer, RS232, which is working well with an old operating system. I am attempting to modernize the arrangement, by converting the rs232 to USB. It is once the data is introduced to the PC that I do not know how to import into EXCEL.

Hmm, sorry for confusing things. I was thinking about documentation of the RS232 to USB cable. It should normally come with a driver and have some form of documentation. Perhaps it adds a virtual COM port to your system. I know there is VBA code available that is able to receive data from COM ports using the RS232 interface. See: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/0d05ec74-7f75-4fb3-ac28-30130c44cf3b/excel-201...

@Hutch0000 Couldn't you use a keyboard wedge solution and then have it place the text in the cells on a switch press? 

@Hutch0000 

There is a software product called WinWedge that is designed for inputting RS232 or TCP/IP data from many different types of devices including scales, lab balances, measuring instruments, etc.
www.taltech.com/winwedge