Links to changing file names

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create a simple way to have a link within a spreadsheet where I "enter" the linked spreadsheet name and location in 1 location - Here is the scenario......  

I have a file called June sales.xlsx that I want to graph  the information in cells b1-b10. However this is a massive spreadsheet so I want to create another simple spreadsheet that will grab those values and graph them. The problem is that during the month I change the file name - for example  "June Sales V1.xlsx" then "June sales V2.xlsx"  etc. Now I can go into the spreadsheet with the links and go through the tedious process of editing each of the links, but what I was hoping for was a simple way that I change the filename in one place (a single cell) and have it update all links. Any ideas? 

2 Replies

Hi @brad_tay64 ,

You can play with this a little to adjust it to your needs. In the screenshot attached, if I change the filename to "sourceV2" in explorer and in cell D1 my value in cell A1 will pick up the new workbook.

Bennadeau_0-1595449528047.png

@Bennadeau  Thank you - works like a charm. The only thing you need to make sure of is that the file you are linking to is open. I appreciate your quick response.