Links in Excel and their importance

Copper Contributor

Hello,

at work in our company SharePoint my colleagues have several Excel files. They have template file, which is just plain file formatted as a table. Someone copy this template file and renames it according to the calendar week - let's call this "file A".
Then they have another file named according to the productin line -> "file B".

They put all the data to the files manually. The main file for their work is file B and they copy data from file A to file B - usually by Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. My question is: When you do this all the copied data are copied with a link from a source file A. I can see that, when I check Data - Queries & Connections - Edit links. I think this is the cause for our first problem; it happen quite often, when they (different users) open the file B, they see error "We can't update some of the links in your workbook right now. ..." If they paste a data by "Values & Source formatting" there are no links for source file.

Sometimes my colleagues were complaining that some of the data are missing. Do you think it could be related to the links? I am not sure, how important a links are and if I should Break the links. Because the file A is moved over time so I am not sure if it can effect the data in file B.

Because someone paste a data by Ctrl+V and someone by different ways, I can see in specific columns either values or function. In order to unify the data all the users should use the same procedure when pasting a data - correct? Is there a more efficient way how to avoid it?

Thank you for your help.

1 Reply
One way to avoid this is by making sure the source table (the one they copy FROM) does not contain formulas pointing to other sheets in the workbook.