Linking Word cells to Excel without DDE (or a solution to DDE issues)

Copper Contributor

Got a specific question (or two), and a more general one that isn't quite as important.

First, is there a way to link the contents of a Word cell to an Excel cell without using Dynamic Data Exchange? I'd need changes to the Word cell to update Excel -- vice versa wouldn't hurt, but it's not required. Slapping a Word object in there doesn't seem to help me for my purposes, since it's not being entered into the cell -- just in a floating object.

Alternatively, is there a relatively easy way to use DDE links without having to entirely open up the permissions (which MS explicitly cautions against)? It worked like a dream when I first set it up, but now it keeps throwing errors saying it's unsafe whenever I try to open it again.

As for the general one -- first, some background: My overall goal is to set up a user-friendly environment for creatives (e.g. not a spreadsheet) to store and showcase text and image assets for making social media ads -- one that can either automatically update an Excel spreadsheet (a preformatted template supplied by the social network) or easily export said data with minimal complexity so they can be uploaded to the platform. I would use Access for its front-end, but this needs to be both Mac and PC compatible.

So my general question is: Is there a different tool in this suite that might suit my purposes better?

Thanks so much for your help!

(Also, I know the simplest solution is to simply use the social media network's platform to create the ads which avoids the upload issue entirely, but that's not an option in my situation. It's, uh, complicated.)

0 Replies