Linking spreadsheets in Personal Vault

Copper Contributor

I moved data to my Personal Vault (on OneDrive). I built a spreadsheet that links to data in another spreadsheet, in a different folder but same Vault. 

When I re-open the spreadsheet, it says it contains links ... that could be unsafe, and gives me the option to Update (or not). However, when I click Update (which I would like to be unnecessary), it says it can't update; I can continue or edit links. If I click on Edit Links and Open Source, it says it can't find the source spreadsheet. That is (or should be) a false statement.

Help?

3 Replies

@DSchreff actually that is not a false statement and is due to onedrive / security.  I have been fighting this issue with creating refs to and manipulating sharepoint documents for a while now (which my understanding is basically the same as onedrive).  In your case if you are the only one accessing that file it should be easier solution.  You might be able to solve it by one of the following:

a) create a local/relative address in the link 

b) map a drive letter to your onedrive and use that path (that said; my onedrive is mapped/mirrored locally so I can ref anything in my onedrive using the local address with no problems, it is only the sharepoint files I have more challenges with)

c) if you are using a web address you need to make sure to use all "\" instead of "/" and instead of "sharepoint.com" use "sharepoint.com@SSL" (which I assume would be true if you use onedrive.com also)

hope that helps

@mtarler Thanks! I have OneDrive mapped; the problem popped up when I started using the Personal Vault.

I'm not real "techie" (my son did the mapping), so I'm not sure how to create a local/relative address in the link. I'll check with my son. Thanks!

@DSchreff  Oh my bad, I honestly wasn't aware of this personal vault option.  I just looked it up and it is specifically (as the name implies) about a higher security (which is exactly my comment about why it doesn't see the file).  Basically Excel looking for the file isn't the same as YOU looking for that file.

I don't know if it will help but in Sharepoint I can map a network drive but have to mark that internet location as "safe" using internet explorer (no using edge doesn't work).  I also have to renew that connection periodically, but while it is active/approved, my 'local' addresses using that mapped drive do work.  This work around might also work for this personal vault option, but as I said I don't have experience directly with that. 

If these suggestions don't work and no other volunteer helper here chimes in after a day or so, feel free to re-post this question as sometimes people skip questions with multiple replies assuming they were addressed or the question is just buried so far they don't even see it.