SOLVED

linking range of cells in one workbook to range of cells in another workbook

Copper Contributor

How do I link a range of cells in one Excel workbook with a range of cells in another workbook?

Over 3000 cells in the range

Thank you!

8 Replies
best response confirmed by datagirl68 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@datagirl68 

Create an external reference (link) to a cell range in another workbook

(Click on header fo rmore infos)

You can refer to the contents of cells in another workbook by creating an external reference formula. An external reference (also called a link) is a reference to a cell or range on a worksheet in another Excel workbook, or a reference to a defined name in another workbook.

If this information helped you, please mark this post as "Correct answer" and on like (hand with thumbs up), so that other members can benefit from this information later.

If the information did not help you, please ignore it.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

What is wrong with this reference (see below)? I see #VALUE! In the cell. For some reason the reference is not in a range of cells bit just one cell.

='[Recruitment and enrollment database 2021_03_05.xls.xlsx]Data'!$A$4:$A$3403

Any help that you can provide would be much appreciated
I was happy to be able to help. You are welcome
When I try to link to another workbook, the destination workbook shows the formula only, and not the data itself. I am unable to edit the link and I am a little confused. Can you help?

@Joolhunt 

With your permission, if I can recommend. It can help us all if you upload an Excel file (without sensitive data), no picture. Even if it is said that a picture can say a thousand words, it is certainly not in the case of Excel, on the contrary in some cases. You could get a precise solution much faster with a file (w/out sensitive data). This would also be a blessing for all of us, as we can understand the problem much better, a win-win situation for everyone.

*Knowing the Excel version and operating system would also be an advantage.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

It is Office 365 Excel 5 and below is a screen shot of the link.
Activity Title 6. Activity Date 7. City
='[2021 CME Check List - 9-1-21 - 12-31-21.xlsx]2021'!$A$2 1/19/2021 Virtual
I hope that helps.
JulieH
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by datagirl68 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@datagirl68 

Create an external reference (link) to a cell range in another workbook

(Click on header fo rmore infos)

You can refer to the contents of cells in another workbook by creating an external reference formula. An external reference (also called a link) is a reference to a cell or range on a worksheet in another Excel workbook, or a reference to a defined name in another workbook.

If this information helped you, please mark this post as "Correct answer" and on like (hand with thumbs up), so that other members can benefit from this information later.

If the information did not help you, please ignore it.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

View solution in original post