Linking certain values from one list to another

Copper Contributor

Hello, I would like to create a formula in excel that, if the cell next to it has a certain value/word that matches the column header from another list, it will automatically display all of the row headers that have yes values inside that column and put it in the other.

1. Such as, If the first list has types of cars along the top and optional features listed on the left side of the graph with yes/no values listed for each type of car in regards to if it contains that feature. Then in another sheet I want to input the type of car into one cell and then the cells next to it (vertically) only list the features the car has.

2. Also, how would this work if I wanted to type in two types of cars and the features for both those cars appear?

3. And if I put values in the first list instead of yes/no, how could I make a formula that would take the values, multiply them if there's two different columns the data is pulling from (such as two types of cars), and display the "features" that have a certain value. E.g. if the list has values ranging from 0.25 to 2, how could I make the second list display the features that are >1? And if there are two column data sets, it would multiply the values together and list the only features >1?

1 Reply

@bpurdy 

Without the sample file it's bit time consuming to build the model based on your description and generate solution formulas making some assumption (which could be wrong). That also very depends on your Excel version and how exactly you'd like to structure the date.

With small sample showing source data and manually added desired result it'll be more chances that someone answer.