Line thickness

Copper Contributor

Hey all. Going a bit crazy with this one. 

The line weight / thickness in a general sheet (not in a chart) is far too heavy, even as a dashed or grey line. How do I change this? I've tried googling a solution with no luck. Generally, these are the instructions I can find:

This article says it applies to Excel but I can't find this setting at all. How do I select a line? Where is the Format Tab? Is this even relevant? Does it all need to be in a table or something?

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies

@starbug33 

It sounds like you’re trying to change the thickness of the gridlines in an Excel worksheet. Unfortunately, there is no built-in way to change the thickness of the gridlines in Excel.

The gridlines are meant to be a visual aid and their appearance cannot be modified.

However, there are a few workarounds that you can use to achieve a similar effect.

One way is to remove the gridlines altogether and use borders instead.

You can format the borders to have the desired thickness and color.

Here’s how you can do this:

1. Select the cells that you want to add borders to.
  2. Click on the Home tab in the ribbon.
  3. In the Font group, click on the Borders button.
  4. From the drop-down menu, select More Borders.
  5. In the Format Cells dialog box that appears, select the Border tab.
  6. Under Style, select the desired line style and thickness.
  7. Under Color, select the desired line color.
  8. Under Border, click on the buttons to add borders to the selected cells.
  9. Click OK to apply the formatting.

I hope this helps! 

Hi @NikolinoDE 

Thanks for your response.

I'm not trying to change the thickness of the grid lines. When Print is selected, the gridlines actually print at about the line weight I would like, however they don't show up over any cells that have a fill, so aren't much use.

The line weight I am trying to change is in fact the borders. They print very thick. I would like them to appear more like the gridlines.

I've been in touch with Microsoft however they have escalated my case. I'm very surprised that it's not an option to make these lines lighter.

Thanks again.