Line graph showing records received by date

Copper Contributor

I've got a spreadsheet with 400 odd bookings, one row per delegate. Columns have different pieces of data collected during their registration. One column is 'date received'

I'd like to have a line graph showing the booking cycle, so there'd be spikes on a day when we received lots, for example. 

I'm trying to create a table on which to base this graph, counting the number of bookings: (the date being in column S in the Data tab, and the actual cell contains the date and the time, so I've put in an asterisk to allow for the various time values.

=COUNTIF(Data!S2:S5000,"08/07/2020*")

It's bringing up 0. Not sure where I've gone wrong, or if I'm overcomplicating it? 

I've also tried just selecting column S and making a line graph (and switching x and y so that date lies along the bottom), but it tells me the maximum is 255. 

6 Replies
In the line graph I tried (bottom of post) it's showing grwoth of bookings (so ends up with 400+) rather than counting the number of entries on each date, which is why it wouldn't let me swith axes, as 400 is more than 255....

Hi @Karenaki 

Why don't you try Pivot Chart instead?

Cheers

@wumoladI haven't used one of those before? Any tips? 

@Karenaki , if possible, can you share a sample with any confidential info removed? 

@Karenaki In conjunction with the link provided by @wumolad , perhaps the attached (simplified) example can get you started into the right direction.

Col A:B contains the "data base" of delegates.

Next to it you'll find a pivot table counting the number of delegates per date.

The graph is a line chart based on the pivot table. When the pivot table changes (upon Refresh), the chart changes with it.