SOLVED

Line chart

Copper Contributor

I am stuck with a graph that I am trying to create. I want to create a Profit and Loss line graph (with markers) of a stock that I have recently bought.

Y-axis: Profit and Loss amount

X-axis: Different Prices Range

Also, I would like to highlight the current market price of the stock with a horizontal line or some sort of marker. How do I do that? I have spent 3 hrs trying to do that, but no success. Please help. Best, Varun

If you refer to the attached file at the top, that is what I am trying to replicate in MSExcel. I just need help with marking the current price of the stock (refer to a red dot in above snippet) in excel. If I click on 'select data' I don't get any reference to axis.

5 Replies

@Varun_Aggarwal 

Hi,

You need a table with 3 columns:

The 'Period' should be the date/time period, 'Price' is the price at that time period, 'Current Price' is a calculated column showing the current price. The current price column will add an additional line to the graph showing a current price line.

StoneKiwi_0-1623875282425.pngStoneKiwi_1-1623875436464.png

@StoneKiwi Thanks for your reply. Basically, as I have mentioned in my mail, this is a Profit and Loss (P&L) graph. I have attached the image that what I am looking at.

X-axis (horizontal) - Stock Price Range

Y-axis (vertical) - P&L amount

X-axis (horizontal) - Current market price of the stock (depicting with a line).

Thank you once again for your support.

best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Varun_Aggarwal The data in you picture doesn't seem to correspond with the graph, but perhaps the attached file has what you asked for.

First add a column with the P&L figure, only for the row with the current price. All others need to be #N/A.

Then create a scatter chart and add vertical error bars for the "current price" series as described in the article referred to by @StoneKiwi 

Now select the P&L series and change the chart type to a line.

Thanks you. @Riny_van_Eekelen 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Varun_Aggarwal The data in you picture doesn't seem to correspond with the graph, but perhaps the attached file has what you asked for.

First add a column with the P&L figure, only for the row with the current price. All others need to be #N/A.

Then create a scatter chart and add vertical error bars for the "current price" series as described in the article referred to by @StoneKiwi 

Now select the P&L series and change the chart type to a line.

View solution in original post