Leading Zeroes Help

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am working with unique IDs in which i am performing VLookups to compare values between difference tabs.   It is extremely important the values in each cell remain exactly as they were found in the source system when i convert them to number.   I have scoured online and shockingly i cannot find ANY advice that meets the following criteria.

- RETAINS the leading zeroes for values that contain them (not every cell has a leading zero, and some have multiples

- Converts the value to number

- Does not alter or change ANY other values in the cell

I have tried to change the format to text, but then Vlookup doesn't work.  I tried looking at custom format but i don't want my cells to have a predefined number of values either.  Some cells will only be 4 digits long, while others may have 9.

Can anyone help?  I am incredibly frustrated as to how difficult excel is making this basic task!  I would be eternally grateful for any helpful assistance anyone may provide.

Kind Regards,

- Brad 

1 Reply

@Ebiru2387 

Can you upload a workbook showing the problem?  I tried it, and I think it's working for me, so maybe I'm not duplicating the problem.