LAMBDA formula not available

Copper Contributor

I' am a 365 subscriber. Windows 10 user all up to date. I deleted my current install of office and reinstalled a 64 bit ver with the correct ver of office 16.0.13426.203308. yet LAMBDA doesn't show up as a function. Any ideas?

Office tells me i have ver. 2011 (build 13246.20308)

48 Replies

@jparada , yes, that's normal. New functionality is deployed by channels, first it is received by limited number of users on Beta channel, next entire Beta (as it is now), next Current Preview channel, etc. The latest one is semi-annual channel which is updated with new functionality twice per year.

All of them are under Office 365 subscription, to shift from one to another you may free of charge, yo only have to accept the risk of that Beta is much less stable compare to semi-annual.

You may check your current channel under File->Account->About Excel. How to shift on insiders channel is at Office Insider , it depend on do you have business or consumer subscription.

Estimated date when it will be available for all channels - nobody knows, even Microsoft, it depends on how new functionality is stable on already deployed channels.

@Sergei Baklan

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate your valuable information.

Regards.

Do we know if this is still rolling out in waves? I have Office 365 and just joined the beta channel but it's still not available. I don't know if I just suck at search but I'm not seeing many posts talking about not being able to find it since February. Also, is there a place we can get this information besides the forum?

@rsawyer757 

You may ask in comments to Announcing LAMBDA (microsoft.com) or as

image.png

Release notes are here Windows Beta Channel Release Notes (office.com) , if you are on Mac it's near it. 

Another community is here Results in Microsoft 365 and Office - Microsoft Community , plus twitter for insiders.

@Sergei Baklan thanks for your reply Sergei!  I clicked over to the announcement thread and was about to post but I decided to check if I had lambda one more time before I did so and wouldn't you know there it was! Didn't even close my excel overnight and it was still there.  Guess a little patience would've done me good.  

@rsawyer757 

That's great to know you have it now. Yes, that works like this, licensing manager on your PC communicates with Microsoft server and switches this or that functionality, it could take time.

Finally I find an answer, thanks for the info! I asked for online support twice, to no avail - the second time I uninstalled and reinstalled everything (well, they did, remotely).

@x2dull4u 

I have been reading so much about the LAMBDA function. I am a long-term subscriber to office 365 and am an Insider. So how long do I have to wait to have this functionality bestowed upon me? Is there a ceremony?  Ridiculous 

@davidfehr same issue for me , i have updated as per guidance but still it is not solved

@office102globalxyjon 

If you are

1) Office 365 subscriber

2) You are Office Insider

3) As Office Insider you installed Beta channel build

4) In File->Account you see that all above is correct

image.png

lambda shall be available.

The only if that is fresh install you may wait day or two before it appears. Assuming from time to time you are with internet connection and reboot Excel.

@Sergei Baklan 

Sergei:

Thank you for your response. All the requirements are met and I am running Excel 2108 (14315.20008) and no LAMBDA. 

2021-07-22_6-18-44.png

I appreciate your assistance.

@davidfehr 

I'll try to check. Is that Home subscription ?

I assume you have already had Excel look for updates, so...

Try this:
- Reboot your computer
- Open Excel
- Open task manager and kill the Excel.exe process from the "Details" tab
- Now open Excel again. Hopefully you now have that LAMBDA function.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

It will be nice if it works, but we discussed an option to wait couple of days and reboot in between.

@Sergei Baklan 

I updated to Window 10 V21H1 (OS build 19043.1288) and 365 as below. No LAMBDA and NO BYCOL, NO REDUCE - all recently released functions. I called the help desk number 0800....The lady said that the release might not have reached all users in London and in the UK.....Do I just wait and pray?  Lambda function is very powerful to use.

Capture.JPG

When will these new functions be available on the non-Insider builds? It's been about a year since it was announced to great fanfare.

@Dan_M_328 I've had the Insider build for years, ans still don't have LAMBDA. I used to have UNIQUE and now I don't. I never had a decent answer from Microsoft. 

I spoke and live chatted to MS technical support twice in the last week. The timeline for general public release is unknown.
IMHO, only choice for users (VBA restricted by company policy) is labour-intensive naming formulas intuitive to other users; challenges i/c long names truncated by monitor width; Unicode required to emulate Excel function style.

Knowing release date of new function help cut elaboration on names. My Example: SUBSTITUTE﹙txt﹐﹛old﹜﹐﹛new﹜﹚ same as Substtitute function but array inputs; I would just choose less intuttive name.
I wish Microsoft provides VBA to emulate beta functions for earlier adoption; reluctance to change when something obsolete still works esp. when sunk cost is not small.
I also wish for Name Manager to accept Unicodes so that I can follow Excel syntax
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/name-manager-accomodate-uncodes-to-follow-excel-syntax/...