Keep getting Large Operation Message

Copper Contributor

I have an Excel sheet for simple bookkeeping.  There are about 285 entries.  I have sorted it according to project name.  I want to add blank rows under each project grouping, put sub-totals for that particular project, and then at the very bottom calculated the grand totals for the different categories.  I did this yesterday for the 2019 sheet.  Today, while doing the 2020 sheet, I sorted by project, inserted some rows at the bottom of the first project, and typed in Sum formulas for each column.  Now, I scroll down to the bottom of the second project section, and attempt to insert some blank rows.  I keep getting the warning that this is a large operation affecting many cells, and do I want to proceed.  I closed it, restarted my computer, and reopened Excel.  When it was opening, my computer said this item is 5.98 MB which is huge for a small sheet like this.  I suspect there is hidden code someplace, but can't find it.  What do you recommend?

1 Reply
It could be that excel thinks the used range is much larger than it actually is. Do you have unnecessary formatting (some people select entire rows/columns when applying cell formatting)?

See here for more information:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/locate-and-reset-the-last-cell-on-a-worksheet-c9e468a8-0f...