Issue with form control

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am using the up/down arrow "form control" in a spread sheet. I have noticed that the buttons work fine for a while but then begin to behave erratically as follows: 1) They either become completely unresponsive or 2) Both behave as "up" arrows.

As a "fix", sometimes the error seems to correct itself at random, or when I click away from the current tab, or when I save the file and then re-opened it - there seems to be no rhyme or reason to this! However, even then the issue soon re-occurs. 

I have been using this feature for a long time without encountering this problem. 

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Is this an Excel bug?

Thank you. 

7 Replies
What if you remove it and insert a new one? In my experience, controls can start misbehaving without prior notice. I try to avoid them other than perhaps a simple button.

@Jan Karel Pieterse

I have, but that does not help.

Regarding your second comment, I have been using spinners for my educational spreadsheets for many years and have never encountered a similar issue.  

FYI, when I open the spreadsheet in an old computer which has windows 10, this issue  does not replicate and the spinners work fine, even after many tries. In fact, I had a colleague test the spinners on his computer (also on Windows 10) with the same result.

Any thoughts?

I would use Help, Feedback, I don't like something. That is always a good idea as it notifies MSFT of things that go wrong.
Done.
Hello, can you kindly advise if you got a resolution for your reported issue. I have the same behaviour with Form Controls sometimes being irresponsive, sometimes randomely working when zooming out, sometimes i can select an input but with cursor position shift. Any ideas on how you got it sorted out? Thanks in advance!
Hello
I am experiencing this exact issue on a Surface Pro with Office 365 installed. Form control up and down arrow - the down arrow behaves erratically and works correctly for a while and then goes rogue and starts behaving as an up arrow. Save and close and reopen fixes it, but i shouldnt have to do this and its putting the data collection at serious risk of errors.

Please can we get an update @Pernille-Eskebo if this has been resolved? I find it frustrating / hard to accept that a newer version of a product with many so called ''improvements'' can lead to reduced function/reliability.

Hi @hannahlill,

Thank you for your note.

I (and a few others) have already brought this issue to the attention of Microsoft (I also took an on-line survey today - why does Microsoft even bother with these?) but there has been no resolution.

As I write, the issue is still present (I have the latest version of Excel and I am on Windows 11).

It is infuriating that a company as large as MSFT (market capitalization of 2.9 trillion dollars, almost 1/3 of US's annual GDP) can not fix a bug in its software despite several users experiencing (and raising) the issue.

Shame on you! Get it done!