SOLVED

Is it possible to select multiple options (which each have multiple associated values) and sum them.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'd like to create a meal plan with excel. I've used excel to calculate the protein, carbs, calories and fat for the amount of grams of that item. For example, rice 100g gives 350 kcal 8 protein 0.5 fat and 78 carbs. 

I'd like to select multiple items like check or tick the ones I want, eg rice, chicken, etc and then add them to a meal plan which has separate columns. I'm using excel online. Is this possible? 

Please see image attached for an idea of what I mean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

YDN10

6 Replies
From looking online, it looks like checklists are possible but only in normal excel not excel online. I'm still looking if it's possible to select multiple cells and add them to a separate row (i.e. the meal plan row) which I can then add up to get my totals.

@YDN10 

Does Excel online accept the new FILTER function? If it does, it would be easy to simply add a column where you enter an "x" (or whatever), and then have FILTER display those items that have been marked.

FILTER is a new function in Microsoft 365 subscriptions, a very powerful function....

Here's a YouTube video that explains FILTER (as well as a few other new and useful functions. Maybe it'll motivate you to get the full system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

(For future reference, you make it easier for us to help you if you post the actual spreadsheet rather than an image. )

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...

Hi @mathetes 

Thank you for your response.

I'm a little confused as to how to use the "FILTER" function. I've tried to select the top "chicken with skin" item with an x in the first column. I'd like it to display the totals on the right hand side but I'm not sure how to get this function to work. I've watched the video, thanks.

Please see attached excel.

Any help would be much appreciated.

best response confirmed by YDN10 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@YDN10 

OK. Here's a working example (but, again, the FILTER function will only work if your Excel is the most up-to-date version).

Here's an image of the final result I'm seeing. The cells with color in the background are the only cells with formulas in them, the green one being the only one with FILTER in it; its results "spill" into adjacent cells as needed.

I didn't make the formula cover the entire area of your "raw data" -- but I think you can see how the cell references can be enlarged. The reason I didn't extend it all the way had to do with your blank rows....anathema in many Excel applications....so I trust you'll be filling in those rows.

mathetes_0-1609947850329.png

Thank you very much @mathetes ! :) I really appreciate it!!

Kind regards,

YDN10

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by YDN10 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@YDN10 

OK. Here's a working example (but, again, the FILTER function will only work if your Excel is the most up-to-date version).

Here's an image of the final result I'm seeing. The cells with color in the background are the only cells with formulas in them, the green one being the only one with FILTER in it; its results "spill" into adjacent cells as needed.

I didn't make the formula cover the entire area of your "raw data" -- but I think you can see how the cell references can be enlarged. The reason I didn't extend it all the way had to do with your blank rows....anathema in many Excel applications....so I trust you'll be filling in those rows.

mathetes_0-1609947850329.png

View solution in original post