Is it possible to enter a value from column A if there is a value in column C into a different sheet

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to make a work schedule. I have a spreadsheet with all shifts and a calendar style. I'm trying to find a formula to enter values into the calendar.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

This is what it should look like, I've manually entered values into the calendar spreadsheet. For instance, when I enter an 8 into C3 on the top spreadsheet, I want KL to be automatically inserted into B5 on the lower spreadsheet. Is there a formula that I could enter to accomplish this?

6 Replies

@chescott80 , what is the formal logic behind, why in B5 and not in C5 or B6? Same for others. And layout for Monday is fully different from one for Sunday., what is the logic for this?

This is just how our shifts are, weekend vs weekday. I will enter a formula for each cell on the calendar. I can't change the setup for the calendar, this is what employees are used to looking at...the spreadsheet has the actual shifts to schedule. I want to cut down on errors of manually transferring data from the spreadsheet to the calendar.
In column C, the 8 (for 8 hr shift) could be anywhere down the column, not necessarily in the KL row...where ever the 8 is the corresponding initials need to go into B5 on the calendar spreadsheet. In column D, the corresponding initials would be entered into C5 on the calendar.

@chescott80 ,

So, logics for the weekday and weekend is different. If for weekend initials for the 8 in second column (C) goes into B5 (I guess next column into C5, etc.), when for the Monday initials for the 8 in second column for the day are in F4, not in E5 if do that similar to Sunday.

And do you have exactly the same number of columns for every day?

@Sergei Baklan Here is an example of a full week, both spreadsheet and calendar

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

So, Column B=B9, C=B5, D=C5, E=D5, F=B6, G=C6, H=D9, I=F4, J=G4, K=F5, L=F6, M=F7, N=F8, O=G8.  Weekdays have same shifts, Weekends have same shifts.

I'm using excel 2013, so I can't use the IFS function