IP Address Training Template

Copper Contributor

The attached is a training template that I am attempting to aid students in Networking Fundamentals. If I get it to do what I am visualizing it will most definitely help me improve my Excel skills. I am certain this will be one of numerous posts as I try to work through what's in my head (picture) and what's in my head (ability). Thanks in advance for the time/assistance.

1. =IFS in A1.
    1. The formula entered shows, I believe, what I want to accomplish. That is return the text in AL 9:11 if the value of B3 falls within the range. Cell A1 does not give an error but doesn't do what I want. If B3 equals any value above 127, #N/A is returned.
    2. If I wanted to use a lookup table would I have to have unique lines for 0 through 223 with the "Class" associated or is there a way to say "if B3 falls between 128 and 191 A1 will populate with Class B"

I am certain this will be the first of many questions as I try to get this sheet to produce the results I am looking for. Again, thanks.

2 Replies

@Tapster 

I addressed the issue I had with the original post by creating tables and using XLOOKUP. By doing so, I made some progress.

The attached is the modified version of the original file. I'm putting notes at the bottom of the sheet so I can keep up with my issues for reference.

Insight/assistance appreciated and respected.

@Tapster 

The attached spreadsheet is doing what I intended when I started this post with one last thing I cannot figure out. It may not be possible without writing code but I wanted to ask and see if anyone had thoughts/advice. If one looks at the file one will see "Magic Number" pointing to J5. I am trying to figure out how to get that pointer to slide down between bits 23 and 2 based on the value in B4.

Advice/insight would be appreciated.

TAPS