Intelligent Search for Fact Repository - Help please!

Copper Contributor

Hello! First post here, I recently started a new job and am tasked with building a "fact repository" of key messages, stats, facts, and any other relevant information when requested by others within the company. Its purpose is so anyone can open it, search for a very specific piece of information and see what document it is from, when it was approved, and more information if they want to. Essentially a google but I only have about 50-75 pages worth of information extracted from dozens of documents that is relevant.

Previously we have used a word document, but it is getting to be ~30 pages long, and I thought I could put this information into excel, sorting it in a way that would make it easier to find information.

I am essentially looking for a "google function." I thought of adding key words under a heading attached to the paragraph describing what is actually in the paragraph which would enable a higher calibre of searching than simply searching for exact terms. It has to be smart because some people may put in synonyms or slightly different words which have the same meaning but would confuse the current search ability of excel. (Some older less technical people work here)

I realise it is somewhat confusing, but it is not a typical excel type document. I am not sure if Excel is even the best software for this, but if  someone thinks Word may be better, or another software, please let me know!

I would really appreciate anyone's help, I want to learn and knock this out of the park! If you need any further details please comment.

1 Reply