Insert Rows grayed out

Copper Contributor

Note: I am very new to excel.

When I right click on a row to insert that option is grayed out. It is also grayed out in the ribbon (home tab). When I go into options it is check marked as an option to see. I have not been able to figure out how to add it through customize ribbon in options.

6 Replies
Hello,this is simply because you have doubled clicked on the particular selected rows. Hence, everything greyed out including the ribbon tabs group
To insert a new row and/or column, select close to the row and/or column and press CTRL + SHIFT = (equal sign) or write click the row or column and select Insert
You can do one thing, on top of your right side of excel sheet there is option sonething like show/hide ribbon, unable to recall exact name but this would be near to Cross sign to excel.
Do let me know if this solve your problem.

Thank you all, I have no idea what happened but it is working now. I honestly tried so many things for so long I have no idea what I did!!! But thank you so much for trying to help me!

So all my work from yesterday was lost due to problems with the content. So I had start all over meaning I had to figure out the no insert issue again (I am using a previous sheet to make a new sheet, rebuilding would take longer). The culprit of the grayed out insert options seems to have been a row at the top of the sheet which was mainly empty with the word January. I had a row like this separating each month, but the one at the top was the only one keeping me from inserting.

Many thanks, This has worked.