SOLVED

Insert link to camera, image inserted 'into' cell.

Copper Contributor

On a mobile device I can use 'Insert'/'camera' in Excel to take photo and the image is inserted into the 'Worksheet' BUT it is floating on top of the cells. I want it 'inserted' into a cell.

My scenario -

Worksheet collects inventory details of machinery

Four columns - Item/Model/SerialNumber/Picture

I would like... click the corresponding cell - camera opens - take photo - image 'inserted' into cell.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Super420 

Pictures and shapes are always placed in a layer floating on top of cells. There is no way to insert a picture into a cell.

If you make sure that a picture is placed entirely within the borders of a cell, and if you specify 'Move with cells' or 'Move but don't size with cells', the picture will move with the cell if you sort the data.

S0556.png

Manual steps tips
1) Insert image (it will float at an undesired location and would be of big size)
2) Select the image and on floating bar above, choose "cut" scissors
3) Select the desired cell, e.g. F4 into which you want to insert the image
4) On the floating bar, select "paste" clipboard => the image's top left corner will align with cell
5) Select the image > Picture tab > Size > In height and width, enter a suitably small value as per cell size by hit and trial

Well only (4) above might be any useful tip..

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thank You for the reply

You have helped greatly.

As you have explained, Excel places Pics and Shapes on top of a 'Worksheet'; but from experience  'Tables' in WORD allow you to insert a Pic into a cell, and also has the 'Insert' / 'Camera' function. It places the Pic within the cell boarders which then needs to be 'anchored'.

Still some issues, but closer.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Super420 

Pictures and shapes are always placed in a layer floating on top of cells. There is no way to insert a picture into a cell.

If you make sure that a picture is placed entirely within the borders of a cell, and if you specify 'Move with cells' or 'Move but don't size with cells', the picture will move with the cell if you sort the data.

S0556.png

View solution in original post