Insert a hyperlink for a limited amount of text within a cell?

Copper Contributor

I'm in the process of converting a number of google sheets over to excel.

Many of these google sheets carry hyperlinks to other docs.

How can attach a hyperlink to select (limited) text within a cell. 

Is that possible?

Thx!

Cyndi

5 Replies

@Cyndimac 

Could you explain a bit more fully what you mean? Some examples would help. What are the current hyperlinks? What do you mean by limited text? Are the existing hyperlinks to "other docs" as your message says, or to cells within a doc? And by "other docs" do you mean Excel spreadsheets?

You see the need....your initial description leaves a lot to be clarified before we can offer any specific help, if what you're seeking is even possible.

Fair enough! Thanks for asking @mathetes 

These links go to other documents (currently google sheets, hopefully moving all google sheets over to Excel.

In a single cell in a google sheet, I am able to insert text of which only some of that text is hyperlinked to external documents.

Here is an example of one cell in a google sheet that has a lot of text, but only a portion of that text highlighted as reference to a hyperlink to an external document.

Cyndimac_0-1657569027755.png

Does this help better define what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Cyndi

@Cyndimac 

This is not supported in Excel. A cell can only have one hyperlink, and the entire cell will act as a link.

@Cyndimac 

In a single cell in a google sheet, I am able to insert text of which only some of that text is hyperlinked to external documents.

Here is an example of one cell in a google sheet that has a lot of text, but only a portion of that text highlighted as reference to a hyperlink to an external document.

mathetes_0-1657578556100.png

Does this help better define what I'm looking for?

It does indeed. @Hans Vogelaar has already told you that Excel doesn't support the kind of linking you're seeking. You example, though, raises another question in my mind: why are you using spreadsheets for this, whether Google Sheets or Excel? Word )and I'm pretty sure Google Docs) also handles tables--arrays of textual data in rows and columns--and it looks like that's essentially what you're using the spreadsheet for: its rows and columns. If most of what you're working with are words, and text documents--i.e., NOT numbers and formulas, which is what Spreadsheets are for--then consider using Word or Google Docs.