Indirect function issues

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

The following formula gives an error as soon as the INDIRECT function is added (see picture).

Can someone help me with this ?

Riaz02_0-1675640465075.png

6 Replies
I will offer the help that getting the right syntax for INDIRECT, as is true for many of the more advanced functions, can be elusive. And it's virtually impossible (at least for me) to diagnose based solely on the image you provide, without knowing what you even mean by "as soon as the INDIRECT function is added" : what was there BEFORE it was added, for example?

Is it possible for you to post a copy of the actual spreadsheet on OneDrive or Google Drive, and post a link here that grants edit access to that spreadsheet? That would help us help you. But maybe, also, a clearer explanation of what you're wanting the INDIRECT function to yield in the way of a cell reference.
Why you are using INDIRECT() here? What result do you desire by formula? There may some other formula to gain your expected output. Show your desired result.

@mathetes 

So i found the error after a while. 

I used ; instead of : 

That is what caused the error.

So iam actually trying to creat something like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKyAOjH3Crk&t=5181s
If you're still looking for a solution, a sample workbook would help. If you're using Excel 365, there are better options available than using INDIRECT.

@Riaz02 

So iam actually trying to creat something like this : (link to a YouTube video with guidance on creating a personal budget spreadsheet)

If that's the case, you might want to begin with looking at some of the templates that Microsoft offers.

There's also a more complete app called Money In Excel, which can connect directly with many US banks.

How familiar are you with Excel? How familiar are you with paper record keeping for balancing your accounts? If you're comfortable with both, you might find it more satisfying to just create your own workbook. But those templates can give some ideas even in that direction.